Officially opened in May 2014, the Edinburgh tram system allows visitors and locals alike to get to and from Edinburgh Airport more smoothly than ever before – and it’s very handy for the Royal Scots Club as well. It is only 600 yards from the tram’s St Andrew Square stop to The Royal Scots Club’s front door on Abercromby Place – very much walking distance, even with suitcases!
The Edinburgh tram route travels 14km from Edinburgh Airport through the city to York Place, a great central location for enjoying the sights and sounds of the city. From St Andrew Square or York Place passengers can connect to bus and rail routes and can easily reach tourist attractions and commuter links.
The full tram journey takes approximately 40 minutes with trams benefiting from automatic priority at traffic lights, ensuring a speedier and more consistent journey than other modes of transport across the city.
Edinburgh Trams is a limited company that operates both the vehicles themselves and the route they run on. The City of Edinburgh Council wholly own the public company and it is also run as part of the Transport for Edinburgh Group which is also responsible for Lothian Buses.
The tram network is continually looking for new ways to adapt and innovate and just in the last few weeks they have announced that bicycles will soon be allowed on their trams as a trial run. For easy access to the city from the airport and to get around with ease, the trams provide another convenient and cost effective option.
Directions (on foot) from the Edinburgh Trams’ St Andrew Square stop to Royal Scots Club
- Alight the tram at the St Andrew Square stop
- Walk north (in the same direction as you were travelling) along the side of St Andrew Square. This road becomes North St Andrew Street.
- Cross over the busy road (Queen Street/York Place) and continue straight on down Dublin Street.
- Take the first road on the left, Abercromby Place
- Royal Scots Club is on the right hand side (after the junction with Nelson Street, before the junction with Dundas Street)
Estimated journey time is 6 minutes.