The Royal Scots Club takes your privacy seriously. We are a ‘controller’ of the personal information that you provide to us and this privacy notice sets out how, why and for how long we will use your personal data, as well as who it is shared with. It also explains your legal rights as a data subject and how to exercise them.
What we need from you
When you apply to become a member or renew your membership we may ask you for some or all of the following personal information:
- Contact details – name, address, email address and phone number.
- Date of birth – to calculate membership category.
- Payment details – bank account number, sort code and card details.
- Participation details – other clubs, armed forces number.
- Equality information – sex, gender, disability, ethnic group and religion.
- Safety and emergency details – next of kin, spouse.
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information that we need, this may affect our ability to offer you our membership services and benefits.
Why we need your personal information – contractual purposes
We need to collect our members’ and customers’ personal information so that we can manage your relationship with us. We may use our members’ personal information to:
- Provide you with core member services, including confirmation of membership, membership card, end of year renewal notice and information about events in the club.
- Set up an online membership account enabling you to manage your membership and communication preferences.
Why we need your personal information – legitimate purposes
We also process our members’ personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interests to:
- Provide you with news and updates about the members’ events and meetings.
- To allow distribution of ‘Write of Line’, the members quarterly newsletter.
- Raise Awareness of the club’s activities by capturing photos, videos, live streaming at events. We will use this for promotion, education and development purposes.
- Respond to and investigate your questions, comments, complaints, concerns or allegations.
- Inform reciprocal Clubs with whom you may wish to visit by way of letters of introduction.
Other uses of your personal information
We may ask you if we can process your personal information for other purposes. Where we do so, we will provide you with an additional privacy notice explaining how we will use your information for these purposes.
Who we share your personal information with
We may be required to share personal information with statutory or regulatory authorities to comply with statutory obligations. Such organisations include the Health and Safety Executive, Disclosure Scotland, and Police Scotland for the purposes of safeguarding children. We may also share personal information with professional and legal advisors for the purpose of obtaining advice.
Third party suppliers with access to members’ personal data
The Club may use third party suppliers to provide services. These Suppliers may process personal data on our behalf as ‘processors’ and are subject to contractual conditions to only process that personal information under our instructions and protect it.
In the event that we share personal information with external third parties, we only share such information strictly required for the specific purposes and take reasonable steps to ensure recipients shall only process the disclosed personal information in accordance with those purposes.
- Pinpoint Marketing Ltd facilitate the distribution of the quarterly newsletter
- Handelsbanken, Gocardless and First Data process payment transactions securely on our behalf.
- Mail interactive distribute some of our email communications. Their Servers are based in Edinburgh and they certify their data security.
How we protect your personal information
Your personal information is accessed by our Membership Secretary and RSC Administration staff only for the purposes set out above. It is stored by the club in an electronic format. Access is password protected and there are firewalls in place to protect against external breaches. All paperwork records are held in a secure locked filling cabinet. Your personal data is transferred electronically into our database which is password protected.
How long we keep your personal information
We only keep your personal information for as long as necessary to provide you with membership services. Unless you ask us not to, we will review and delete your personal information where you have not renewed your membership with us for 2 years.
You have a right to:
- Change your communication preferences or restrict the processing of your personal data for specific purposes
- Request that we correct your personal data if you believe it is inaccurate or incomplete
- Request that we delete your personal information
- Access the personal information that we hold about you through a ‘subject access request’.
You can contact us: The Membership Secretary, The Royal Scots Club, 30 Abercromby Place, Edinburgh, EH3 6QE.
Tel: 0131 556 4270
If you are dissatisfied, you have a right to raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at www.ico.org.uk